brown

Voting Rating: 5 / 8 votes

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

45th parallel


This weekend I drove up to beautiful scenic Michigan, and on the way I noticed that I was in the middle of the earth, literally. That was so odd. I passed one of the many markers in Michigan letting me know that I was at the 45th parallel, meaning I was half way between the equator and north pole. Over the weekend I saw so many beautiful sights, Lake Michigan, beautiful Harbor Springs, great friends, fireworks, and yet for some reason a sign telling me that I was in the middle of the earth was one of the wow moments for me.
As I begin to wonder why it so spectacular to me, I start to think that being in the middle of something just feels special. When you are in the middle that means you are committed, involved, their is no easy way out. When you are in the middle of something, you most likely are on a journey from one side to the other. When you are in the middle of something, there is a feeling of accomplishment, but you still have goals to go further. I believe this is where I am in my life, right in the middle. At the point I drove pass the sign telling me I was in the middle of the earth, I remember saying out loud to myself "Now ain't that the truth" but I was thinking about my life.
For a while being in the middle has been uncomfortable, sometimes I feel stuck "right in the middle." But as I saw that sign and thought about where I am in life I realized that I am in the center of life. Sometimes it is challenging, but there are so many rewards like a beautiful view over Lake Michigan. The center is never easy to get to, and it isn't always easy to get pass, but I am finally glad to be there.
As I drove by the sign, I wanted to slow down, I wanted to look around and take it all in. The state of Michigan considers the 135 miles of the Michigan Polar-Equator Trail as a significant tourist attraction in Michigan. I also am beginning to slow down and enjoy all of the scenic routes along life and enjoy being in the center.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Profound, Jess. Truly. I always want so much to finish things, to reach the goal, to accomplish, accomplish, accomplish! But when I get so focused and driven like that I miss it--I miss the beauty of the middle; I miss life. I'm encouraged girl. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

the middle of things is the best, most important, most beautiful and I think most missed part of things. Especially life, we are all in this middle part of our lives and one of my biggest fears is that I will worry so much about where Im supposed to be at this point that I will not even see it going by.

see you soon hon,
Michelle

wow "publish your comment" feels so official