brown

Voting Rating: 5 / 8 votes

Thursday, September 27, 2007

My year of practice

This weeks teaching at VLI was about practicing the disciplines of faith. There are many versions of what those disciplines are and the teacher discussed in great length what each meant and how they effect our lives. Different theologians and writers and teachers have compiled different list. They are generally private disciplines that you do on your own like prayer and fasting and then there are public disciplines that you do as a body or group like worship and fellowship. All of the disciplines are important and worth practicing, but the main thing I am learning is the art of practice itself.



This year as a home group we have been talking about the disciplines as described by Richard Foster in his book Celebration of Discipline. Each month we talk about one and then we practice it. Each month trying to practice the discipline is challenging. I guess that is why they call it a discipline. But Richard did put the word Celebrate in the title. I know that eventually after a lot of practice some of the disciplines become natural and are more of a celebration, just like anything you practice for a long time. I am learning the spiritual disciplines are a lot like physical excercise and sports, music, relationships: all the things that take practice in life. Some people are natural at things and others are not but either way to be great you have to practice. If you are learning how to play the oboe for example (I chose the oboe because it is fun to say) you wouldn't expect to be great at it in one month even if you have played another wind instrument, but especially if you have never played any instrument. But for some reason I think that since I read how to be submissive or simplify my life and I know the benefits I should be great at it right away. No, it's not like that. It takes practice and failing and trying angain and getting a little better and trying again and getting a little better. It's good for me to keep the perspective that it takes practice to be disciplined and it's worth learning how to perserve and keep working on them and knowing that the practice part is just as valuable at the performing well part.

No comments: