brown

Voting Rating: 5 / 8 votes

Monday, April 28, 2008

Serving lessons

This Sunday we had our first Servefest at church. We met for about 2 worship songs, prayed and then separated in groups to serve the community in different ways. I helped in two different groups. I made cookies Sat night for the kids to take to the fireman. They first frosted them of course. I also helped with the brunch we hosted for the homeless and people who may have less. A different group actually comes in and serves lunch every Saturday to this same group of people at our church. We serve every quarter and I usually am a part of that group. We just served a few weeks ago so I had remembered quite a few of the people. One of the ladies who was there a few weeks ago was there again yesterday. This lady was kind of harsh to a few of us last time we saw her. This time was totally different. She brought up our church announcement sheet and asked about the singles mom dinner we host and if she could come and I told her of course. And then she said something that has been repeating in my head all day, "your church is spoiling us, you know we are going to get used to this" It was sweet and sad at the same time. We have fed her and her friends a few times and have learned her name and shared grace to her on maybe a not so great day and this is "spoiling." I receive grace and kind words everyday and I expect it. It's a challenge to me, not only to reach out to my community more and all the people who are a part of the community but to not take advantage of the kindness that is given to me so freely by others.

No comments: